Ancient Greek athletes running after eating cheesecake,
and saving on laundry bills!
Oh, did I mention that those first Olympians (all male) competed in their birthday suits? Au naturel all the way! They competed in the nude as a tribute to the Greek god Zeus and to celebrate the human body (sure saved on laundry bills!).
|Discobolus (Discus Thrower), ancient Greek sculpture|
More Ancient Olympics Trivia:
- The sade (or stadion), a footrace, was the only recorded event at the first Olympic Games in Greece. (A footrace in their birthday suits; that must have been a sight...or treat!...for sore eyes.)
- The first recorded Olympic champion was a baker, Coroebus from the Greek city state of Elis, who won the footrace at the first Olympics in 776 B.C. (Bet he was the guy who made the cheesecake!)
The first Olympic champion showing off the benefits of olive oil, fresh air and cheesecake!
- Ancient Olympic champions were crowned with olive wreaths and awarded red ribbons. Victors endorsed products (yep, the first commercial endorsements) and posed for sculptures.
|Ancient Olympian receiving an olive wreath and red ribbons|
(Epiktetos Painter, 520 - 510 BC)
- Plato, the ancient Greek philosopher, was a double Olympic winner of the Pankration, a martial arts event. Not only was this philosopher a martial arts champion, he mentioned cheesecake in his writings and it's said he had a cheesecake recipe. (Still searching for that one!)
Papyrus List of Olympic Victors |
(That hole at the bottom is where someone ripped out the cheesecake recipe!)
London Olympics Trivia:
- Cadbury's Chocolate is the official chocolate of the 2012 London Games. (There should always be official chocolate!)
|Cadbury Chocolate Olympic Medals. If you don’t win a medal you can still eat one!|
- The mascot of the 2012 London Games is Wenlock (named after Wenlock Edge in Shropshire, England, home of the modern Olympic games). Cute in an odd sort of way but seriously, my British friends, I'm thinking Cyclops here, sorry...LOL! Does get your attention though with that all-seeing eye that is supposed to represent a camera.
Wenlock, London Games mascot
|Mascot of Atlanta Games...what was it anyway?!|
- Have you heard about the movement to make Cheese Rolling an Olympic Sport? There's a petition and even a Facebook page for it! Didn't make the 2012 games but I'll support it for the 2016 Rio games. Looks like fun! Hey, I think I can even do this sport! Oh just imagine the fun if the sport of cheese rolling catches on...LOL!
Cheese Rolling….Look even Prince Charles is doing it!
Image from Robert at Mulled Madness
- What about making Jazzy Scooter Gymnastics an Olympic event? I like it! Saw this video and couldn't stop laughing! Sharing it here (with permission from the very funny ladies who made the video).
SalGal Tries out for the Jazzy Scooter Gymnastics event, too funny!!
More Olympics Funnies:
©2012 JerseyLil’s 2 Cents
Trivia compiled from Wikipedia and NBC Olympics. Images (unless otherwise credited) are in public domain from Clker.com and Wikipedia sources. Silly writing, all mine!