March 17, 2016

Irish Quotes and Creamy Fudge: Feed Your Irish Spirit

What better time for witty Irish quotes and creamy fudge than on St. Patrick’s Day. In honor of my part-Irish roots (one-quarter Irish on my dad’s side through my great-grandmother, Bridget Mannix, from County Cork or Limerick), I’ve collected some of my favorite Irish quotes, along with a recipe for dark chocolate Irish cream fudge (yum!). In true Irish tradition may the celebrating continue throughout the month of March!    



Witty Irish Quotes

  • Never iron a four-leaf clover, you may be pressing your luck.
  • Time is a great storyteller.
  • A friend's eye is a good mirror.
  • Don't give cherries to pigs or advice to fools.
  • Put silk on a goat and it's still a goat.
  • A loud voice can make even the truth sound foolish.
  • A watched kettle never boils.
  • Never ask a fox to watch the hens.
  • Patience cures many an old complaint.
  • Never speak to the feet while the head is alive.
  • The older the fiddle, the sweeter the tune.
  • Trouble hates nothing as much as a smile.
  • An old broom knows the dirty corners best.
  • One eye in the corner is sharper than two about the house.
  • Be kind to those you meet as you rise, you may pass them again as you fall.
  • As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point in the wrong way.
  • May you live to be a hundred years, with one extra year to repent.
  • May your blessings outnumber the shamrocks that grow, and may trouble avoid you wherever you go.
  • May the sun shine bright on your windowpane, and may a rainbow be certain to follow each rain.
  • May your pockets be heavy, your heart be light, and may good luck pursue you morning and night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dark Chocolate Irish Cream Fudge


Dark Chocolate Fudge made with Baileys® Irish Cream liqueur. Easy and delicious.
(For a non-alcoholic version, replace the cream liqueur with 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract.)


  • 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 4 cups dark chocolate chips
  • Pinch of sea salt
  • Optional: 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans
  • 1/3 cup Baileys Irish Cream*
    *
    Baileys Irish Cream is an Irish whiskey and cream-based liqueur that comes in flavors such as Carmel Crème, Coffee and Mint, so you can create delicious fudge in different flavors.

Directions:
  1. Line a baking pan with foil, extending foil over the edges of the pan. (8-or 9-inch pan works well)
  2. Put chocolate chips, salt and sweetened condensed milk in a heavy saucepan and cook over low heat until the chocolate chips are completely melted.
  3. Remove from heat. Stir in Baileys and nuts, if adding nuts.
  4. Spread evenly into the foil-lined pan.
  5. Chill in the fridge for 2 hours or until firm. Cut into squares. Makes about 2 pounds of fudge.
Microwave Method:
  1. Put chocolate chips, salt and sweetened condensed milk into a quart glass bowl or measuring cup.
  2. Microwave on High for 3 minutes or until chocolate chips are melted, stirring after 1 ½ minutes.
  3. Remove from the microwave and stir in the remaining ingredients. Proceed as above.

Enjoy!

Happy St. Patrick's Day! 

36 comments:

  1. I've tried to leave a comment 3 times. Lol.. Thanks for sharing this recipe JLil! I'm going to get the ingredients and make this tomorrow! I think I'm going to make mint chocolate. Yum! I'll take pics and link back. Happy St. Pat's Day to you! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi and thanks, Karen! Making the mint chocolate sounds yummy! Please do take pics and link back, I appreciate that. Sorry you tried to leave a comment 3x and it didn’t work. I’ve been having problems with Blogger, I’ll soon be moving my blog to WordPress, I hear there are fewer problems there. Happy St. Pat’s Day to you too! :)

      Delete
  2. Love these Irish quotes ... and the recipe looks yummy. Happy St. Patty's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jaime, Happy St. Patrick's Day to you as well! :)

      Delete
  3. That looks so tasty that I feel compelled to lick the computer screen.
    Love those old Irish sayings. The Irish certainly have a way with words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lily, please feel free to lick the computer screen, that fudge is so good! :) I really love those old Irish sayings too, so glad you enjoyed them. They still make me smile every time I read them and I’ve read them many times over the years.

      Delete
  4. It's so nice to see you posting... I love the Irish quotes... many of my ancestors were from Ireland and Scotland... My grandmother used to say many of these... I hope you are doing well and that you enjoyed St. Patrick's day... xox Have an awesome weekend xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Launna, thank you, and I hope you had a wonderful St. Patrick’s Day! It’s awesome that your grandmother used to say many of these Irish quotes. I never knew my Irish great-grandmother or my grandmother on my dad’s side, they were gone before I was born. I really love those old sayings. A great weekend to you too!

      Delete
  5. I certainly agree with the tunefulness of an old fiddle, hope you had a good St Paddy's day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dale! The tunefulness of an old fiddle is a good one, and with your love for music I know you can appreciate it. :)

      Delete
  6. This fudge sounds delicious. I have everything on hand, maybe I I'll make some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Jayne, thanks, I hope you do make the fudge, it’s really delicious!

      Delete
  7. Ah! I've never tasted brownies with liqueur in them. I'd like to try them! :D

    Also, I'd like to invite you to enter my fair trade artisan cozy bundle giveaway, Open to US and Canada! See you on my bloggie!

    Blessings,
    Christine
    www.beyoutifulhope.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine. This is the only fudge recipe I’ve ever tired so far with liqueur and it’s really tasty. :)

      I will visit your blog and check out that giveaway. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

      Delete
  8. I have paused on each of those quotes and pondered at the irony, wisdom, fatalism and the numbing witticism behind each of those adages. I cannot help but admire the grit and innate richness of the culture they come from; some of them are already present in one form or other across other cultures also, a phenomenon anthropologists refer to as 'Diffusion'. Thank you for the bouquet of Irish dark ice cream chocolate fudge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Umashankar, you’re very welcome! You’ve described these quotes so perfectly “irony, wisdom, fatalism and numbing witticism.” Yes, the thoughts in these quotes are present in various forms across many cultures through the diffusion of ideas and migration patterns. I’m glad you enjoyed them and the fudge as well. :)

      Delete
  9. The fudge sounds interesting. i wonder if anywhere round me makes it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big D, the fudge is delicious! I hope you can find it around there or perhaps make it. I think you’ll like it. :)

      Delete
  10. Great quotes! I love most of them. I miss San Patrick Day's carnical! So much fun and passion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yun, I really love those quotes too, they are so clever! :)

      Delete
  11. Wonderful, Madilyn! You know how much I love quotes, well I love fudge even more. So great to see you posting again. Happy belated St. Paddy's day, and happy Spring!
    BC seems to be more down than up these days, so I'll see you on Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marty and thank you! You are the master of many fine aphorisms and I know how much you love quotes. And oh yes, fudge too! :) Happy Spring and Happy belated St. Paddy’s Day to you as well! I’ve noticed that BC seems to be down quite often lately so I’ll see you on Twitter.

      Delete
  12. Wonderful post, as always, Madilyn. Now heaven would be eating one of those Irish cream fudges from one hand and sipping a Guiness from the other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil! I love your comment that heaven would be eating an Irish cream fudge from one hand and sipping a Guinness from the other. That would be perfect! :)

      Delete
  13. Oh, I just loved those quotes JerseyLil, and its so good to stop by here again. And that fudge sounds right up my street, maybe with a milkier chocolate though, and I love the ole Baileys too. Lovely post as usual. Enjoy the rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RPD, I just knew you’d like that fudge with the ole Baileys! :) I’m so glad you enjoyed the quotes too. Thanks for stopping by, so good to hear from you again. Have a great week!

      Delete
  14. thank you for sharing wise words it is great to be here dear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Baili and thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm glad you enjoyed this post. I'll have a new post soon. :)

      Delete
  15. Wonderful post and words for thought, and I love your background! Warm greetings from Montreal, Canada. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. thank you for such nice quotes. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  17. tricia@mail.postmanllc.net

    ReplyDelete
  18. Particularly, I loved the quote - A watched kettle never boils

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just wanted to thank you for sharing great information and being useful. I have read and visited many blogs but I have never seen such a beautiful site. Your article equipped me with new information. I will look forward to your new articles, see you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for this brief explanation and very nice information. This post gives truly quality information. Hope to see you again.
    wordpress
    ufa88kh.blogspot
    youtube
    online slots

    ReplyDelete
  21. India bpo companiesMarch 25, 2022 at 4:23 AM

    These are all amazing! I want one with a slide down it at the side, still a child at heart.

    India bpo companies

    ReplyDelete
  22. yak888 คาสิโนยักษ์ใหญ่ตัวจริง ที่มียอดรีวิวมากยิ่งกว่า 1 แสนยอดชื่นชอบจากนักลงทุนทั้งโลก แน่ๆพวกเราเป็นหัวหน้าที่เกมคาสิโนออนไลน์ในอนาคต pg slot ที่คนไหนก็เลือกเข้ามาเล่น

    ReplyDelete