August 29, 2013

Summer in the Garden

Garden Helper! 
It has been quite a busy summer. Although I’d love to say I've been spending my time vacationing on a warm sunny beach, cool drink in hand, listening to the melodic sounds of ocean waves and gathering seashells for my collection…ah, only in my daydreams! What I have actually been doing this summer is sitting at my computer working on editorial projects. With so much time spent working, there's been little time left for anything else (and I've missed blogging!). However, one thing I'm glad I did before the summer work rush began was plant a garden in the spring so I could reap the rewards from the earth now. 

Harvesting the garden...grown organically, fresh and healthy



I planted four varieties of tomatoes this year...Early Girl, Bonnie Original, and Roma (Italian plum) tomatoes in the garden, plus sweet cherry tomatoes in a planter on the patio. Three varieties of peppers planted in the garden...sweet banana, hot banana, and New Mexico Big Jim (chili) peppers. I especially like sweet banana peppers and it's not a variety found very often in stores or farmer's markets in my area, so I always plant them in my garden. 


Tomatoes and peppers ripening in the sun with sweet basil and marigolds



The near continuous rain we had early in the season stunted the growth of the Early Girl tomatoes, so only got a few from that plant. However, the other tomato and pepper plants thrived after all the early rain and we had an abundant crop.


Cherry tomatoes and herbs on the patio
Besides planting in the garden, I have a few plants in clay pots on the patio, including cherry tomatoes and several herbs in a strawberry jar, along with flowers and more herbs in various planters. The cherry tomatoes grew especially well this year, the first year I had such a good crop from the patio tomatoes.  


In addition to tomatoes and peppers, I have a perennial herb garden that comes back every year with tarragon, sage, rosemary, oregano, chives, English thyme, lemon thyme, peppermint, and lemon balm. I love watching the perennials return every spring. Other herbs such as sweet basil and parsley are annuals, so I plant them anew each year.


A few of the herbs in the perennial garden...chives, sage, tarrgon, mint
When I go into the garden with a spade and dig a bed, I feel such an exhilaration and health that I discover I have been defrauding myself all this time in letting others do for me what I should have done with my own hands. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson


Busy bee pollinating the oregano

Sweet basil and marigolds planted near tomatoes 
All my gardening is organic. I plant sweet basil and garlic with the tomatoes and peppers, enclosed by a border of marigolds. Coffee grounds are especially beneficial for tomatoes, because the acid and nitrogen help the plants to grow while keeping away snails, slugs, and ants. When I surround the tomato plants with coffee grounds, the tomatoes are redder and juicier. Coffee grounds are beneficial for pepper plants as well (and roses).

No system is foolproof in the natural world, but companion gardening and a border of marigolds works very well to keep out hookworms and other insects, and many small critters. The raccoons and groundhogs, however, have no respect for organic gardening, but the scent of our dog roaming around the garden plus some strategically placed mounds of dog hair, helps to keep them away, or at least make them wary of approaching the garden. They don’t mess with the peppers but the tomatoes are more vulnerable to being snatched by hungry critters. I like to grab the low-lying fruit as soon as it starts to change color and finish the ripening inside because adventurous squirrels will run into the garden, take a quick bite and scurry off! Squirrels are ever the opportunists! 


Coco keeping an eye out for the squirrels!
Gardening can be incredibly relaxing. There certainly is some work involved with preparing the soil, weeding, mulching, etc., but I find that feeling the earth in my hands when I plant, tending to the plants as they grow, and watching the industrious honey bees pollinating the blossoms to be a wonderful stress reliever. To observe a garden as it grows is to observe the natural balance and harmony of nature. Plus, you get a tasty crop of veggies and the reward of knowing they grew from the seedlings you planted. 


Bonnie Original, Roma, and Cherry Tomatoes

Sweet and Hot Banana Peppers, and New Mexico Big Jim (chili) Peppers 

After harvesting the tomatoes and peppers, I made a summer pasta dish I’d like to share.


Summer Garden Pasta


For this recipe I used my garden Roma tomatoes because they work so well in pasta recipes, but any firm tomato will do. I added the garden peppers. Other fresh summer veggies, such as zucchini or yellow squash (think I'll plant squash next year!) are excellent in a summer pasta dish too. Fresh herbs and garlic enhance the flavors.
  • Tip on using Fresh Basil in Recipes (sharing a tip I learned from cooking shows): Chiffonade the basil, set aside, and stir into the pasta dish at the very end right before serving. This keeps the fresh basil from getting soggy and it's actually more flavorful that way.  

Summer Garden Pasta Recipe
  • Lightly sauté the chopped veggies, garlic (large chunks), a shallot or small onion, and fresh herbs in olive oil. The herbs I used for this dish were lemon thyme, parsley, and oregano, adding in fresh basil at the end. Salt and pepper to taste (I find that when I add lots of fresh garlic, I barely need any salt, much healthier). 
  • Very juicy tomatoes and veggies will naturally add water to the pan, and often that’s all you need to make a nice little sauce with the veggies to serve over pasta. Sometimes I add a little fresh squeezed lemon and white wine to the pan while cooking. If desired, rather than white wine, you can add a small amount of clear vegetable or chicken broth (just enough to make a little sauce).
  • Stir all ingredients and simmer until hot (but not boiling). Serve over cooked pasta of choice. I used whole wheat shells. For added flavor and texture, sprinkle crumbled feta cheese over the dish when serving (really tasty!). 

Made a summer salad to serve with the pasta using the tomatoes, peppers, and sweet basil leaves from the garden, along with cucumber slices and mixed salad greens.



Enjoy your summer (or whatever season wherever you are)! 



©2013 JerseyLils2Cents, all text and photos.

41 comments:

  1. Madilyn, that was as invigorating as a warm sunny beach... listening to the melodic sounds of ocean waves and gathering seashells. I could almost breathe the scent of earth, the plants, their leaves and the fruits and the vegetables by lungfuls. The presence of the bees, pests and naughty squirrels gives life and vibrancy to the story of the garden. Those are all truly engaging images of tomatoes and chillies and the little denizens of the tiny paradise and the garden helper. My favourite here: 'Cherry tomatoes and herbs on the patio.'
    Emerson seems to have offered you the key to life and you have truly grabbed it to a telling effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thank you, Umashankar, I am delighted that my garden came to life for you in this post! I really appreciate your wonderful comment about how the bees, pests and naughty squirrels gave vibrancy to the story. When I think about the garden, all of that comes to mind for me; it's about so much more than just the fruits and vegetables. I’m happy you enjoyed the photos, too. That particular Emerson quote fits the way I feel about gardening, it connects one to the earth, to something real. Perhaps that is the key to life!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful relaxing post of gardening and recipe! I am so glad you have fun with yard work. Good for you, especially you have so much editing work on hands.
    I do some gardening as well. I had good harvesting of long beans. But I did not plant as much as last year. You post and excellent photos made me want to do more next year!
    You must have a wonderful yard! Coco looks so healthy and cute. Indeed a loyal helper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yun, thank you so much for your nice comment on my post, photos, and recipe! I think gardening is a wonderful stress reliever and I’m glad I could convey that in my post. And yes, with all the editing work I’ve been doing, it was a good thing I planted my garden early in the spring or I may have never gotten to it lol! It’s great that you had a good harvest of long beans; I’ve never tried planting beans. I might consider that for next year. Good idea, thank you. Coco is healthy and very cute, a loyal helper indeed, and expert critter chaser!


      Delete
  3. hi Madilyn, I totally agree with umashankar and Yun Yi. Not just a relaxing, engrossing post, but so well put together. I can see why you'd be a great editor. It actually took me back about 20 years, when I used to visit the UK every year, and my company's CEO showed us his wife's parents' prize-winning garden, which was just beautiful. But right next door was a small Elizabethan thacthed cottage, owned by another sibling, with hollyhocks in the front garden and bees buzzing and the smell of nectar and pollen........it was magic! Thanks for helping bring this memory to light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil and thank you for your kind comments about my post! I am detail-oriented which is probably well suited to editing. I seem to think, write, even dream, in colors and details lol! How wonderful that reading my post could take you back 20 years to that magical memory, I like that! The Elizabethan thatched cottage with the hollyhocks and the smell of nectar and pollen sounds like a lovely place to have visited and remember.

      Delete
  4. Those tomatoes and chillies/peppers look so healthy JerseyLil, wish I was closer to borrow some, as there's nothing better than knowing what went into getting your produce on the plate. Well done mate.

    Wow, you should open up a little herb shop with fresh produce. You grow so many lovely things in your garden and you seem to know the 'tricks of the trade' in getting rid of the things that can eat and destroy them. I also love how you put the plants/herbs in the clay pots. They look so pretty on the patio.
    Coco looks so adorable relaxing and watching the plants grow, whilst at the same time keeping the pests away.

    Oh, you know how I love my food and I'm definitely going to be trying this pasta dish. And, I'll use the white wine instead :) nothing like have a glass or two whilst cooking. And that salad looks great. I'll be taking that salad out next time I go on my picnic in the park. Ideal.

    After reading this, I just want to have a garden again. It's so therapeutic. What a wonderful way to spend summer.
    A lovely summer post JerseyLil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rum-Punch Drunk, thank you! If you lived nearby, I’d definitely be bringing you garden tomatoes and peppers. We had such a bumper crop this year that I’ve been passing them around to neighbors. Yes, there’s nothing better than knowing where the food on your plate is coming from.

      I’ve been gardening organically for many years so I’ve learned a few tricks like using companion gardening and natural pest deterrents. I would never even consider pesticides. I didn’t always have a yard like I do now though. During the years when I lived in apartments with no yard, I had tomatoes and herbs in clay pots in the house by a sunny window. When we finally got a house with a yard, the first thing I did was plant a garden. Yes, gardening really is therapeutic.

      Loving food as you do, I bet you will love this pasta dish and the salad (taking the salad with you on a picnic is a great idea!). Cooking the pasta dish with a little white wine is perfect, and yes, a glass of wine while cooking too. I often enjoy a glass of red wine while I’m cooking. Enjoy!

      Delete
  5. Enjoyed the walk in your wonderful garden JL.
    I agree that spending tome in the garden can be so relaxing - good for the soul. & it's probably the biggest thing I miss over here (other than my girlfriend of course.)

    It must be one of the biggest rewards in life to plan, plant & see that garden grow. & to share that with pets is also a treat...just to spend some quality time sitting among the fruits of that labour. (I think I'm feeling a little homesick.)

    Loved the photo's.
    Cheers,
    ic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian, I’m so glad you enjoyed the walk through my garden, and thank you about the photos too! Yes, gardening is good for the soul. There really is something very peaceful and harmonious about the way it connects you to the earth. The whole process of planning, planting, watching the garden grow and then harvesting is very rewarding. Sharing it with pets is also a treat, I definitely agree.

      I don’t doubt that you feel a little homesick (and miss your garden and your girlfriend) while you’re working so far from home. Hope you won’t have to be away too much longer. Cheers to you, too!

      Delete
  6. Your garden is as lovely as you. I wish we were neighbors, I'd come over for salad. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Donna! I wish we were neighbors, then I'd bring you lots of tomatoes and peppers, and have you over for dinner, too! :)

      Delete
  7. JerseyLil, you are so darned wholesome! Everything looks so colorful & delicious, I can practically pick up the tantalizing aroma from my computer screen. Thanks for these late summer recipe ideas. Bon Appetit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Georgette, thanks and I’m so glad you stopped by my blog! About almost picking up the aroma from the computer screen, you know that will be invented one day lol! Bon Appetit and hope you enjoy the recipes.

      Delete
  8. I truly enjoyed reading this blog ... I felt like I was there with you and Coco in your garden. You definitely have a gift for writing, as well as gardening. And I am making note of your Summer Garden Pasta recipe. Not only does it sound delicious, but also healthy. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaime, thank you so much for your encouraging words! To have you feel as if you were right there in the garden with me and Coco is exactly the way I want readers to feel, and I really appreciate knowing that came across in my writing and photos. Thanks for stopping by and enjoy the Summer Pasta recipe!

      Delete
  9. Madilyn, loved your post and the beautiful (and mouth-watering!) photos of your garden and summer pasta dish. I think you've inspired me to try my hand at a container garden next year. I'd also like to plant some sweet peas because I love the way those blossoms smell. Your herb garden sounds terrific. I used to have one at my old house, and also loved seeing the perennials come back, especially the lavender. There's nothing like being out in the garden, seeing all the butterflies and bees flitting about. Makes everything seem right with the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kris, so glad you loved the post! I hope you do try container gardening next year. I love the idea of sweet peas and those blossoms do smell pretty. Think I might expand my garden next year to add more vegetables and more herbs such as lavender. I had lavender in the past but the plant got inadvertently trampled by my dogs in a marathon rabbit chase lol! Yes, being out in the garden with the butterflies and bees flitting about does make everything seem right with the world!

      Delete
  10. Madilyn, sorry you've been so busy with work this summer-I've missed your warm-hearted presence at BC. But so glad to hear your garden turned out so spectacularly. Your pasta dish is just the sort of thing to delight my palate on a warm summer evening. I guess the battle with nature's pestiferous creatures over food is an ongoing one, but those little critters do add such color and beauty to our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marty, thank you, and I’ve missed the BC discussions too, although I may have time again in the next couple of months. I love your aphorisms on your blog every week and always stop by. I am pleased the garden turned out so well this year, really a bumper crop of tomatoes. Hope you enjoy the summer pasta dish. Yes, the battle with nature’s pestiferous creatures over food is ongoing but it fits with the balance of nature, the yin and yang, and those critters do add wonderful color and beauty to our lives!

      Delete
  11. Congratulations on your wonderful harvest! Everything looks beautiful and delicious.
    I love gardening too. Organic gardening.
    Those flowers are gorgeous.
    You carry sunshine and ocean waves inside you wherever you are, Jersey.

    Have a peaceful weekend. Thank you for this lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia, thank you! I am delighted to learn that you love organic gardening too. Somehow, I am not surprised given your love for nature. So glad you stopped by my blog again. May you carry sunshine and ocean waves inside you wherever you are, too!

      Delete
  12. Beautiful post - and your harvest is wonderful. Our garden was not as abundant as past years. I think we need to either sit summer planting off next year, and give our ground a rest and plant more in containers. It might have been just too hot.

    Your recipes look so good! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coffee Lady, thank you! Sometimes you need to rotate crops when you’ve planted in the same spot year after year. I had to do that with my peppers this year. You’re right, the hot weather where you live may have been a factor as well. Hope you have an abundant garden next year, and hope you enjoy the recipes!

      Delete
  13. Wish we had more luck with home grown veg, but between the weather, the birds and the slugs, we usually lose more than we eat. Your produce looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dale! I know sometimes conditions are just not suited for gardening, but I hope one day you’ll be able to have a nice one.

      Delete
  14. if it makes any sense your garden looks very delicious :) hope you had a great summer, more or less :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gabriel! Hope you have a great summer as well. Btw, I’ve been checking your site and look forward to new quotes. I like your photography too. :)

      Delete
  15. What a wonderful garden! You certainly make the best of it. I can taste some of those things from here.

    And you have an amazing grand helper! Good at digging, I suppose. Perhaps too good?

    Blessings and Bear hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rob Bear and thank you! If I lived nearby, I’d surely share my harvest. :) Yes, my garden helper is good at chasing away the critters, and good at digging too lol! Bear hugs right back at ya!

      Delete
  16. Looks awesome, you have wonderful garden at home...keep growing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Weekend-Windup, and glad you stopped by again!

      Delete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Where have you been hiding? Your garden and back yard is very neat and pretty. Congratulations on growing food. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Theresa! I've just been so busy with work and family stuff in another state. Hope to get a new blog post up soon. Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  19. I was thinking of you yesterday, Jersey. I hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia, thank you for thinking of me! I’ve been working long hours and traveling out-of-state to take care of ongoing family business, so it hasn’t left much time for writing or reading blogs. I hope to be back to blogging again very soon! :)

      Delete
    2. Jersey, it was lovely to read your comments today.
      Stay well my friend.

      Delete
  20. I love the photos of the peppers... very delicious looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paul! Those garden peppers were delicious. So glad you stopped by my blog!

      Delete